On February 12, our lesson was about the reliability of the Bible. In our life, we will encounter many people who say that they do not believe the Bible. It is important for us to have answers for them. It is also important to have answers for ourselves so that we know why we believe the Bible, and are able to have confidence in the Word of God. We must stand on it without wavering. This is such an important lesson because we are building our lives on God’s Word. And if the Bible cannot be trusted than we have no foundation at all.
How Do We Know God’s Word is True?
The Testimony of Scripture (emphasis added below)
- Titus 1:2—“…in hope of eternal life which God, who cannot lie, promised before time began.”
- Hebrews 6:18—“…that by two immutable things, in which it is impossible for God to lie, we might have strong consolation, who have fled for refuge to lay hold of the hope set before us.”
- Psalm 18:30—“As for God, His way is perfect; the word of the Lord is proven; He is a shield to all who trust in Him.”
- Psalm 19:7-9—“The law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul; the testimony of the Lord is sure, making wise the simple; the statutes of the Lord are right, rejoicing the heart… the judgments of the Lord are true and righteous altogether.”
- 2 Peter 2:16-21—“For we did not follow cunningly devised fables when we made known to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but were eyewitnesses of His majesty… and so we have the prophetic word confirmed, which you do well to heed as a light that shines in a dark place, until the day dawns and the morning star rises in your hearts; knowing this first, that no prophecy of Scripture is of any private interpretation, for prophecy never came by the will of man, but holy men of God spoke as they were moved by the Holy Spirit.”
Fulfilled Prophecy—Hundreds of prophecies in Scripture have been fulfilled. For example, there are 60 major prophecies in the Old Testament that predict the birth, life, and death of the coming Messiah. Jesus Christ fulfilled every one of those prophecies. Some people say that’s its just by chance that Jesus fulfilled prophecy. However, mathematics shows the probability of this to be next to impossible. The chances of one person fulfilling just eight of these prophecies is equal to 1 in 1,000,000,000,000,000,000.
Scientific Evidence—Scientifically, the Bible has been found to be trustworthy. Many statements in the Bible were written before modern science discovered them to be true facts. An example of this is found in Isaiah 40:22 which tells us that the earth is round. 500 years ago, people were afraid of falling off the earth even though the Bible was written a couple thousands of years ago.
Many people claim that the Bible cannot be true because it doesn’t line up with the theory of evolution. However, evolution is simply a theory that has a lot flaws. Evolution is really a belief system or “religion”. When you think about it, it really takes a lot more faith to believe that the universe came from nothing, rather than being created by God.
We cannot pick and choose which parts of God’s Word we want to believe. If we can’t trust one part of the Bible, how do we know that any of it is true? For example, if we doubt the creation account in Genesis, how can we be sure that salvation is for real? The Bible provides a basis for absolute truth established by the Creator of the universe.
There are many helpful resources available in learning more about science and the Bible. My family has learned a lot from Answers in Genesis, Kent Hovind, and Jonathan Park audio drama. We’ve also been encouraged by visiting the Creation Museum in KY.
Archeology—Critics have often scoffed that the Bible is inaccurate because it described things that were not found in archeology. However, through the years, many different archeological discoveries have confirmed people, places, and customs/traditions described in the Bible. Check out this article on the excavation of Jericho.
Remember, science and archeology do not “prove” the Bible is true. We know that the Bible is true because God said it is (He cannot lie). God’s Word is the foundation; science and archeology support it. They just happen to reaffirm the Bible—just like we would expect it to!
The Amazing Word of God—Satan has tried to deceive people and write other counterfeits to the Bible such as the Koran, the Book of Morman, Hindu writings, and others. But no other book as the credentials of the Bible. No other book has the message, answers, and logic of the Bible. The Bible alone explains sin and the only remedy for sin. Christianity is the only “religion” that:
- Offers eternal life as a free gift for those who believe. All other religions teach that you have to earn it in some way.
- Has a Savior. Other religions have leaders or teachers who are now dead, but we have a living Savior—a substitute who was perfect, who paid the penalty for our sin, and the only One who ever conquered death.
- Gives assurance of salvation and eternal life. In other religions one can never be sure that he will make it to Heaven.
No book has been studied, scrutinized, and attacked more than the Bible.In spite of centuries of attack, the Bible still stands. If God had the power to create the vast and complex universe, He certainly has the power to preserve His Word
There is a battle raging in the world today. Christianity is under attack. The Bible is under attack. We need to know what we believe and why, and be able to defend the truth. The Bible is our foundation. It is trustworthy, and we must examine everything in the light of the truth of God’s Word. God’s Word is 100% true; we can trust it and build our lives upon it.
For our activity, we divided into teams and each team was supposed to build a structure based on the strength of the foundation and the height. After each team built their tower, we took a clipboard and created a “windstorm” to see how strong the structures were. All of them stood firm! It was a fun reminder how it is important to build our lives on the foundation of God’s Word.